There are three different options that are commonly used for custom mascot heads: traditional sculpted foam, vacuum formed foam, and vacuum formed plastic.
Mascot Prices: How Much Does a Mascot Cost?
Purchasing a mascot is not something you do every day. The process can seem daunting, and the wide range of pricing only adds to the complexity of your mascot purchase. In general, mascot prices range from $200 to upwards of $15,000. Factors that contribute to the broad range of mascot prices include differing levels of customization, customer support, quality of materials, construction methods, and mascot fit and functionality. In this article we’re outlining three different pricing tiers and explaining what is available in each mascot price range. Each of these categories have their own set of advantages and disadvantages and this article will help you determine the factors you need to consider when purchasing a mascot.
Standard Stock Mascots (Mascot Price: $200-$3,500):
At the low-end of the mascot price range, the standard stock mascot can usually be purchased via Amazon or through an overseas company. The standard stock mascot is priced between $200 - $3,500 and is ideal for one-time use or when custom branding isn’t important. These are the most basic mascot costumes and they offer limited customization. When purchasing a mascot priced in this category, expect the following:
- Sales Process & Customer Support: Standard stock mascots are purchased via Amazon or similar online retailers. Don’t expect a long sales process or a high level of customer support.
- Customization: Because you’re purchasing a stock mascot from a catalog, customization will be limited. Exact color matching and company logo additions will most likely not be available.
- Materials & Construction: Due to the construction methods and materials used, these are prone to tear and stain easily. While not an issue for one-time use, take this into consideration when purchasing a mascot that will be worn often over a long period of time.
- Turn-Around Time: Expect a 1-2 week turnaround time for a standard stock mascot.
- Incomplete Costume: Do your research - often costumes in this price range are incomplete, offering just a suit or head, not a full mascot costume.
Custom Mascot Costume: (Mascot Price: $3,500 - $7,500):
Custom mascot costumes are tailor-made and handcrafted from the head to the feet. When purchasing a mascot in this price range, expect a more involved sales process, a high level of customer support, greater quality and customization, and a long mascot lifespan. A few things to prepare for when purchasing a custom mascot costume are:
- Sales Process & Customer Support: While the sales process for a custom mascot costume is more extensive than the standard stock mascot, you don’t have to feel like you’re in the dark. Custom mascot costume companies offer a dedicated sales manager assigned to your mascot that will help guide you through the sales process from concept to creation. Expect a high level of customer support throughout the sale and even after the sale is complete.
- Customization: One of the biggest advantages, if you decide to purchase a custom mascot costume, is the high level of customization. Expect to be able to customize your mascot’s head, feet, outfit, colors, and even add custom branding and logos to your mascot.
- Head: Choose between foam and plastic (ABS) mascot heads
- Feet: Custom color, shape, and fit
- Outfits: Custom printed t-shirt, hat, jacket, shoes, pants, etc.
- Colors: Remain brand-consistent with exact Pantone matching of your brand colors
- Logo Patch: Easily add your logo to jackets, shoes, t-shirts, or directly on the mascot
- Materials and Construction: Expect your custom mascot costume to be made with higher quality materials that will be more durable and easier to clean.
- Turn-Around Time: Expect a 4-6 week lead time from when you finalize design details to when your custom mascot costume is shipped.
- Brand Consistency: A good custom mascot costume company will be able to match Pantone colors, branding, and add logos to the costume.
- Functionality & Fit: Going with a custom mascot ensures that you will have the perfect fit and best functionality possible. Whether your mascot is highly active, must work in intense heat, or is a taller than average performer, a custom mascot costume manufacturer will work with you to create the most ideal mascot for any conditions.
- Additional Accessories: Custom mascot costumes have a variety of add-ons that are available within a $7,500 price. These include cooling systems built into the costume, additional clothing, and custom-printed t-shirts and baseball caps
Custom Mascot Costume + (Mascot Price: $7,500+)
The $7,500+ mascot price range is for the highly detailed or technologically advanced custom mascot costume and offers an even higher level of customization than the previous category. These costumes give you everything that the custom mascot costumes offer plus add-ons such as:
- Custom Props: Turn anything you are crazy enough to invent into a custom prop for your mascot.
- Special Effects: Bluetooth® speakers, light shows, moving parts – these are all available for the technologically advanced mascot costume category
- Specialized Fabrics: Materials such as leather, Ultrasuede, spandex, custom-printed fabrics, and different shiny materials can all be used to turn your custom mascot costume or mascot accessory into a work of art
Still asking the question ‘How much does a mascot costume cost’? Olympus Mascots specializes in the design and manufacturing of custom mascot costumes. Request a free quote and let us know what you’re looking to create. Our team is ready to make your mascot dreams come true!
When creating a custom mascot, it is important to consider different factors that affect the look, form, feel, and function of your mascot. We’ve outlined the 12 most important things to consider in your mascot purchase.